There were some recent firmware updates for the Samsung 980 Pro lineup. I updated mine and thought I would pass this along…
Download and install/update the Samsung Magician SSD Management Utility.
Although Magician has several uses, the only thing you really need this utility for is updating firmware (unless you want to go through the hassle of creating a boot disk). Firmware updates for SSDs can resolve performance or security issues.
– It is not necessary to have Magician running in the system tray. Right-click on the tray icon and remove from startup.
– It is not necessary to have the SamsungMagicianSVC service running all the time. Set it to Manual:
press the Windows + S key > type services > scroll down to SamsungMagicianSVC and double-click it > change it to Manual (optionally stop it too) > click Apply
– I typically check for updates via Magician every month or so, or when it comes to mind.
– Simply running Magician will let you know if there are updates.
– Standard warning: Firmware updates can go wrong…blah, blah, backup, blah blah. In all these years I’ve never had BIOS or firmware updates go wrong and I’ve done too many to count. RTFM
Samsung Flagship SSDs On Sale
Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
List Price: $229.99
You Save: $60.00 (26%)
Samsung 980 PRO SSD 500GB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
List Price: $149.99
You Save: $40.00